This simple recipe is really good using roasted tomatoes. I also liked using the grilled cheese sandwich as croutons. Why had I never thought of this before…
- 8-12 Tomatoes, chopped in quarters (depending on the size is how many you’ll need)
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 2 Teaspoons Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Onion
- 3 Cups Roasted Tomato Puree (from the above- place in a blender and puree until desired texture)
- 1 Cup Juice from roasting, seeds strained out
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Basil, chopped
- Baguette, sliced into crostinis
- Fresh Mozzarella cheese
- Place the tomatoes on a baking sheet that has been lightly drizzled with olive oil.
- Drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle evenly with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Roast at 425 for 20-40 minutes or until shriveled and soft.
- Remove from the oven.
- Let cool for a few minutes and then place the tomatoes, reserving the juices, into a blender (we use Blendtec) and puree until you have 3 cups. If you come up short just add tomato sauce to reach 3 cups.
- Drizzle about 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large sauce pot.
- Heat over medium high heat until shimmering.
- Add the garlic and onions, turn down to medium and stir frequently.
- Allow to cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato puree, juice, chicken stock, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- Stir and then allow to come to a boil.
- Boil for 10 minutes and turn down to a simmer.
- Add the cream and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place mozzarella between slices of the baguette, butter the outside and cook in a skillet over medium heat until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden. (You’re just making little grilled cheeses)
- Remove to a cutting board and chop into 1/2-1″ squares.
- Fill a bowl with soup, fresh basil and mini grilled cheese croutons.