It’s been 6 months since I began my goal toward veganism. I have had chicken once and shrimp maybe 3 times, eggs probably more than I realize, and cheese is still my arch nemesis. My focus now is egg alternatives when cooking and always the cheese. But I keep on keepin on. Here’s a few tips I’ve gathered since beginning this journey.
- Don´t expect a vegan hamburger to taste like an ordinary hamburger. You will only be disappointed. Accept that it’s something different with it’s own taste-texture.
- For me, rice milk is too watery. However, almond milk is delish!
- Worried about protein? I put a scoop of organic veg protein in my smoothie every morning. 15-20 grams of protein right there.
- After awhile, you start to have your “go to’s”. Mine are smoothies in the morning, roasted veggies, ratatouille, veg pizza, salads with croutons (without croutons a salad is not very satisfying for me), caprese salad or caprese pita, boiled squash with queso, almonds-seeds, apples, peanut butter, refried beans on tostadas, chilaquiles.
- I don’t use butter that much, but switching to an oil has not been a problem.
- Going out to dinner is easy. There is always something on the menu that is vegetarian. Italian, Indian, and Chinese restaurants are no brainers.
- If you slip up, don’t give up. (I know one day I will conquer the cheese!)
- Remember why you started.